Friday 28 October 2016

A Walk Through Bristol: St John on the Wall, the Christmas Steps and Foster's Almshouses

Way back in the summer, I found myself in Bristol (one of my very favourite places!) with a few hours to kill, so I went for a walk.

Starting from Temple Meads station, I walked past the remains of Temple Church (bombed in the Blitz in 1940)...


... then over Bristol Bridge and past St Nicholas Markets, photographing little details of the buildings that caught my eye along the way.

 
 

I then turned down Broad Street, at the end of which you'll find the church of St John the Baptist. St John's is also known as St John on the Wall because it was built into the city wall in the 14th Century.

 

This unusual little church is no longer in use as a place of worship but is well worth a visit when it's opened by volunteers. It's full of history and lovely architectural details.


I especially loved these tiles.


After looking round St John's, I walked through the gateway and took a short detour down Nelson Street to see some of the fabulous street art.

 
 

Then I headed for the Christmas Steps. This is the view looking down this historic, stepped lane:

 
 

Street art! The Christmas Steps! Colourful buildings and independent shops! This walk took me past so much of what's great about Bristol. 

Near the top of the Christmas steps are the former Foster's Almshouses and their chapel, the Chapel of the Three Kings of Cologne

 

The almshouses were founded in the 1400s, and the current buildings were built in the 1800s. The property was turned into private flats about a decade ago, with the funds raised used to build modern almshouses with all mod cons. Imagine renting a flat in this building! So much character!
 

After daydreaming a bit about living here, I headed up Park Row past the Red Lodge Museum...


... the Edwardian Cloakroom...


... and the Wills Memorial Building (where my graduation ceremony was held, many years ago!)...


... to the always awesome Bristol Museum & Art Gallery, where I whiled away my remaining free hours before it was time to head homewards. Ah, Bristol, how I love you.  



Thinking of visiting Bristol? You might also enjoy my posts about St Mary Redcliffe, the Harbour & Park Street and the time I followed the Shaun in the City Trail and climbed Cabot Tower.

5 comments:

bairozan said...

A city with a great character, indeed! Thank you for this virtual walk through it!

kansasgirl1 said...

This is a fun walk through Bristol, thank you for sharing it.

Bugs and Fishes said...

Thanks guys! It's always a pleasure to share pics of beautiful Bristol :)

Amara said...

So many beautiful buildings! Nice little scratch of the surface to help us dream of future travel.

Bugs and Fishes said...

Glad you enjoyed the post, Amara! I love to dream of travelling to all the places I see on peoples blogs too :)